Sign Up for Email Alerts
Mercury Learning and Information
All Stylus E-Books
E-Books by Subject
E-Book Exam Copy
Request Exam Copy
Request Desk Copy
Blogs & Communities
Request Email Alerts
Video Game Addiction
Jean Riescher Westcott
Paperback: 978 1 937585 82 2 / $24.95
Due: September 2017
Mercury Learning & Information
6" x 9"
A New Mexico woman, occupied for weeks with playing online games, was convicted of second-degree murder and child abandonment, after allowing her three and a half-year-old daughter to die of malnutrition and dehydration. A Philadelphia man was convicted of third-degree murder for killing his 17-month old daughter in a rage over a broken Xbox. In 2005 one study estimated that 40% of the players of World of Warcraft, were addicted. Unfortunately, the number of these addictions is growing exponentially in most countries.
This book addresses the history, symptoms, causes, and available treatment for "video game overuse." It examines numerous case studies and provides resources from several countries including the US, China, South Korea, and the UK.
• Questions and Answers about the medical definition/description of the condition; the source/causes; details of symptoms; available cure/treatment; and societal issues or public opinion such as legal issues, social/psychological ramifications, etc.
• Case studies from both the physician and patient perspectives
• Animations, figures, and photos to support, explain topics under discussion. In electronic versions these items are integrated as hyperlinks and “pop-ups” throughout the text
• Resources including Web sites, articles, blogs, and books that offer additional information on each subject
• Includes a companion DVD with animations, color figures from the book, Web links, animations, etc.
Related Titles by Subject:
Computing and Information Technology
Health & Medicine
Blogs & Communities
© 2017 Stylus Publishing, LLC Prices and descriptions subject to change without notice.